Python in Publications
Here is a cumulative listing of various articles and other
published items about Python, most recent first. (Please notify
us of any new items you discover, via firstname.lastname@example.org.)
article on Python (in German) Rainer Fischbach published in
iX - Magazin fuer professionelle
Python Squeezes the Web by Stephen Pitts. This article on
LinuxPlanet is a good example of using Python to solve a practical
"real world" problem.
Interview with Guido van Rossum by Frank Willison of O'Reilly, in
his "Frankly Speaking" column of 10/4/1999.
Interview with Guido van Rossum by Phil Hughes of Linux Journal.
Guido tells all about CP4E.
includes Python in its developers library. A nice article by
Evelyn Mitchell that contains an even-handed comparison between Python
and several competing languages.
- Here's an interesting article on Builder.com entitled "The
Most Elegant Scripting Language You'll Probably Never Use".
We hope the second half of the title is wrong, but it's a cool
- DevShed.com has a new article on
CGI Programs in Python" and talks about some basic CGI
- Two Python publications appeared in the
Digital Systems Report,
features python in two announcements today - links to Xerox's WebDAV server
and to the release of XML
v0.5 of the XML
SIG's work. (14-Dec-1998)
- The Boston Globe article
The Next Big Thing (page 1 of the business section of
the print version) is mostly about the open-source phenomenon,
and Tim O'Reilly's vantage point on it -
Python is mentioned among other leading open-source forces.
(This reader especially liked the article, particularly its
incisive conclusion.) (13-Dec-1998)
- An InfoWorld Online article, Python slithers forward, talks about how Python's
open-source process applies pressure with things like the XML project
and Digital Creation's Zope.
- Scripting Tools and Java focuses on JPython in the
December issue of JavaPro. (11-Dec-1998)
Fermigier has an article, Pr�sentation du langage Python, in the French computer
magazine, Pogrammez!. (10-Dec-1998)
- November, 1998 - "Rapid Prototyping with SWIG"
in C/C++ Users Journal
By Daniel Blezek. All the examples use Python,
with a sidebar about "Classes and Objects in Python".
The example demonstrated is wrapping the Image Magick library.
- November, 1998 - "The Python HTMLgen Module" and
"LJ Interviews Guido van Rossum", in Linux Journal (Added
The safety of scripting, in Sunworld Online, announces
some recent news in the Python world. (Oct-1998)
- Python Pocket Reference by
Mark Lutz - a compact (small format, 80 pages), handy dandy
Python reference book, published by O'Reilly. (Sep-1998)
- Developer.Com JPython Article, an overview of JPython
by Python's inventor, Guido van Rossum. (19-Aug-1998)
Handbook of Programming Languages - Chapter on Python in
Volume 3, Little Languages and Tools, ISBN 1578700108. (12-Aug-98)
Programming Python: Errata/Updates - errata and summary
of Python language changes since Python 1.3 for the
Programming Python book by Mark Lutz. (12-Aug-98)
- The Japanese translation of "Programming Python" is out. It
reached number 5 on the computer bestseller list! Here's the announcement (Japanese website). (01-May-1998)
JPython lets Python and Java integrate, in JavaWorld's
News and New Product Briefs. (8-Mar-1998)
- May, 1998 - "The Python DB-API", in Linux Journal
A brief discussion of the standard database API for Python.
- April, 1998 - Open Source:
The state of the Art
The online magazine Webreview has a special issue on
open source, with ample mention of Python
- March, 1998 - Software
Development magazine's "Scripting Languages Go Prime Time"
"Python compares favorably with Perl and Tcl for
Internet and web development [...] due to its strong object
orientation, it may be the best scripting language of those
reviewed in this article to learn as a first language"
- March, 1998 - Sunworld Online's GUI toolkits article
The article singles out Python for discussion, stating "It's
an excellent vehicle with which to learn, prototype, and,
in many case, deliver finished applications."
- February, 1998 - Getting Started With Python
Readers of the October SunWorld Online article requested
more information about Python, resulting in this follow-up article
which takes a closer look at the language.
- February, 1998 - Dr Dobb's Journal Articles
The February issue of Dr. Dobb's
Journal, about Scripting Languages, has three articles
- One on SWIG: "a freely available tool that lets you
generate interfaces to a variety of scripting languages
from a common interface description.
- Another, titled "Template Processing Classes For Python,
demonstrates embedding Python objects in HTML.
There's also a sidebar about the new features in the
just-released Python 1.5.
- The third article is "XML Programming in Python", and "shows how
you can use Python as a development platform for XML programming."
- February, 1998 - A CGI Framework in Python
The February issue of Web Techniques,
about Scripting Languages, contains an article
which develops a simple-to-use Python framework for a
Web site's CGI scripts.
- Programming Python Reviewed in Dr. Dobbs Review of Computer Books, in the November
issue. Both Mark's book and Python, itself, were cast in
favorable light. (30-Oct-1997)
- October, 1997 -
Lawrence Livermore National Lab's Python Projects
They "will be adding more documentation steadily so, like
voters in Chicago, visit early and often throughout the day" :-)
- PyHistory -- the time history package
- PyGraphics -- the object-oriented graphics / Gist
interface (2- and 3-D graphics)
- PyTutorial -- the slides for "Introduction to Python" to
be given at Spam VI.
- October, 1997 - Choosing a Scripting Language
Subtitled Perl, Tcl, and Python: they're not your
father's scripting languages, Python seems to be
cast as the more recent, high-fidelity one of this bunch
of "Big Three" scripting languages.
- October, 1997 - A Language Collector Comments On: Java, Perl & Python
Python coverage is small here, but with enthusiasm.
- The October '97 issue of Linux Journal had a review of
Internet Programming with Python, with favorable
impressions both of the book and the language...
- July, 1997 - Linux Gazette article Using Python to Generate HTML Pages
One Python (and OO) novice's experience getting familiar
with Python in the context of an HTML-oriented task.
- June, 1997 - Walnut Creek's Python
Archive CD ROM
Packages the Python web
and ftp sites.
- May, 1997 - Python Articles for Japanese Dr Dobbs
will be writing a series of seven articles concerning Python
for the Japanese edition of Doctor Dobb's Journal.
- A new (German-language)
book has been published. (1-Apr-1997)
- April, 1997 - Linux Journal Article
issue of Linux
Journal has Python Update, by Andrew
Kuchling. (Added 4/25/97.)
- April, 1997 - World Wide Web Journal Article
An article by Guido van Rossum on scripting the web with
Python appears in the new issue of O'Reilly's World Wide Web
Languages: Automating the Web. (Order now.) (Added
- February, 1997 - Byte article on Python
See Jeffrey Shell's
Does Scripts and Objects, in the February, '97
Technologies: Programming column.
- Python books are now on sale on
the python.org website, via Amazon.com. (04-Feb-1997)
- See Jeffrey Shell's
Does Scripts and Objects, in the February, '97
Technologies: Programming column. (1-Feb-1997)
- February, 1997 - Linux Journal Article
issue of Linux
Journal has Writing CGI Scripts in
Python, by Michel Vanaken. (Added 1/9/97.)
- January, 1997 - Web Review Python Article
Web Review's Jan
9 Bleeding Edge column is Python: It's Not Just For Laughs. It's by Frank
Willison, the O'Reilly editor of Mark Lutz's Programming
Python book. (Added 1/9/97.)
- January, 1997 - Dr Dobb's Sourcebook Articles
The January/February issue of Dr. Dobb's
Sourcebook, about Distributed objects, has two articles
- One on Hector: "a framework that sits above other
distributed environments, providing open negotiation and
interoperability of communication protocols--and it is
implemented almost entirely in Python."
- And another on ILU:
"a CORBA-ish multi-language object interface system."
- Programming Python, by Mark Lutz, and Internet Programming with Python, by Aaron Watters, Guido van Rossum and Jim Ahlstrom are in the
bookstores now! (28-Aug-1996)
- June, 1996 - Python book FAQ from author
Mark Lutz has put together
a sort of FAQ about his
O'Reilly Python Book, Programming
- January, 1996 - Introductory article in Linux Journal
Jeff Bauer wrote "An Introduction to Python"
for Linux Journal.
- July 27, 1995 -- Python tutorial in UnixWorld Online
Aaron Watters published a tutorial article on Python in UnixWorld Online.
- April, 1995 -- Python: A GUI Development Tool
Matthew J. Conway published the first tutorial article mentioning
Python, for ACM's "Interactions".